Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Resentment

One lie that has been told about me and numerous black women who have promoted interracial dating, is that we resent black men for dating other women. I can only speak for myself, so let me set the record straight. I would be a hypocrite if I myself loved to date other men, but then thought it was not right that black men do the same. I have never, and will never have a problem with black men dating other women. First of all, who am I to be dictating to a total stranger who they should and should not date? Secondly, I used to make it a point to converse with these men, because I thought they were the open-minded type of men I would like to keep as friends (notice I said friends, and not necessarily lovers). However, I found that most of those men were very hostile towards me simply because I was black. I have met very few black men who are friendly to me, while also dating other women. To them it almost seems to be some childish competition to see who can date interracially more; Which shows a lack of maturity as well as understanding of gender roles.

My aggressors have paraded many black male/white female couples in front of me to get a reaction, but I only find them amusing. The more you need my attention, the more I know you really are concerned about me and what I do. So I am going to keep on doing me. Resent you for who you date? I don’t think so, and that goes to all men not just black men. If I were concerned with whom another person was with, I would have self imploded a long time ago. I am only concerned with men that are respectful, loving and/or kind to me. Actually, I would say that goes for women as well. If you want to enter my realm, please meet the above criteria, otherwise you are just a passing blip in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment